As a mother of twins, I get asked "How do you do it?" constantly, amidst comments such as "I never want twins" "You must have your hands full" "Looks like too much work" "You must be tired all the time" and "Twins! That must be quite the handful!" Never do I get a moments peace while shopping, because I am continually bombarded with curious onlookers, some well meaning and some just outright surprised that I can even manage to stir out of the house. I usually don't mind the questions and comments (in fact, those of you who know me, I kind of enjoy the attention sometimes ;) ). So peeps, to answer the question, this is how I do it: I just simply DO.
I'm not going to burden you with our daily schedule of feedings, diaper changing, and everything in between. Because really, that's not what is important or hard about being a mother to twins. I have two precious, beautiful, talented individuals who look to me for nurturing and guidance. THAT is the challenge. THAT is the reason I feel so blessed and lucky to have been chosen to receive two children at the same time. Andrew and I came up with a theory on why we have twins. Not because of genetics (though that really plays a huge part), but because we had two children in heaven who were arguing over who got to come first. They couldn't decide so they both came at the same time!
Things I have learned raising twins thus far:
1. Nurse two babies at the same time (I really don't know how I'm going to nurse one baby later on, I don't know how!)
2. Speed change a diaper
3. Carry two babies with one arm, leaving the other arm free for carrying other things.
4 Carry two carseats, a diaper bag, and grocery bags at the same time.
5. How to simultaneously bottle feed two hungry babies at the same time.
6. Biggest one I'm still working on and probably will be for the rest of my life: how to get laundry, house cleaning, and cooking done!
7. How to take care of fussy babies at the same time (mostly at night, so it's with Andrew's help!)
8. How to trust my husband to take care of both babies while I run some errands
9. How to let go of a schedule to go with the flow
10. How fortunate and extremely blessed I feel everyday when I hear Braydon and McKenzie cooing at each other after their naps, and when I see their big smiles when I pick them up out of their cribs
So how do I do it? I just....do it! I live through each day catching the joys and "fuzzies," storing them up for when we have a rough day (which are not as prevalent as I make it sound!). I do it by giving Braydon and McKenzie lots of kisses and hugs, and lots of play time, trying to get as many smiles as I can. We have rought days, sometimes seems impossible to get through. Days of endless texts to Andrew saying..."I can't do it! I don't know what else to do! This is too hard!" Days when all three of us end up crying ourselves to sleep at some point. But then there are the good days, which are almost every day. Days of laughter and smiles. Days where I can't get enough of my babies and wish they would wake up from their naps just so I could hold them and see their smiling faces looking at me. Do I ever wish I only had one baby? NEVER. There are so many unique joys only a parent of twins experience. The joy of loving two very separate individuals that happen to be the same age. The tug of heartstrings when they start interacting and smiling at each other. The satisfaction of knowing they will always have a playmate, someone always on their side and looking out for one another when I can't be with them (which hasn't happened yet obviously but come school time!). Kudos to every mom out there who "does it". Simply lives to nurture their children, and give them their very best. Every mom has tough days, and happy days. How do I do it with twins? I simply do....because I am a MOM!
I love this post!!! You're an amazing mom!!! I look up to you so much because one baby is tough I am sure 2 is even harder!!!
ReplyDeleteThis is so beautifully written :) I love it.
ReplyDeleteYour twins are so cute!! :)
ReplyDeleteI think I would LOVE to have twins. But maybe just because I am a twin, haha.