— Gabriela Mistral
I hate the days the babies are laying on the floor with their toys, while I am occupied with something totally separate from them; whether it be laundry, cleaning, or checking facebook/email, etc. This happens more often than it should, and today I decided something: NOTHING will interfere with the precious time I spend with my children, as long as it is something I can control. You know what? It already made a difference in just this one morning.
Yesterday Braydon was constantly whimpering at me every time I put him down or left the room (most of the time it was to find food, I was starving yesterday!). It became exasperating by the end of the day, and I was worn out from trying to console him from the other room. I realized last night it was only because he wanted attention. Attention from his mommy: not grandma, not sister rolling into him (ever since discovering rolling, McKenzie occupies herself by rolling across the entire room), but his Mom. Someone to smile at him when he cooed, someone to cheer him on while he tried to crawl, someone to console him when he flopped over on his back instead of moving forward (it frustrates him so much!). McKenzie would coo at me from the floor, making sure I saw her progress as she rolled back and forth. If I talked to her she would roll to where I was, and smile because she made it. How many tiny moments have I missed out on as I was doing something else? There are things I have to do when they are awake, like move laundry, etc. But I can definitely include them! We fold laundry together: them sitting in bouncers/bumbo seat, and me on the floor talking to them, and playing peek-a-boo with Andrew's shirts. You know what? They LOVE it!
Today's activity: read books in the recliner.
We sat in the recliner with four books, and we read them all! Braydon and McKenzie love looking at the books, and McKenzie will look up at me while I read and just grin. Braydon will start cooing, almost as if he is reading along with me. They both hold so still and look at pictures, constantly reaching out to touch the bright colors and shapes they see. After four books, they started getting drowsy. What better way to start off a nap than reading books together?
I love watching them sleep. I love that I can lay them down on their own and 90% of the time go to sleep on their own. They are such precious children, and are so peaceful when they are asleep!
My challenge to myself: spend the majority of each day with my children: read, play, laugh, smile, talk, and enjoy the moments we have now. Enjoy the time we have together, for it is so short. Love them, and let them know they are something special.
How do you spend time with your children every day? How did your parents spend time with you? We love new ideas, please share!
No comments:
Post a Comment