For months I have felt in a 'rut.' Since Andrew graduated last April, we've been living with his family. As an intern, he wasn't making enough that we felt comfortable moving into a place of our own. Had we been on our own and I could have worked, we would have been fine. Now that two kids have entered our lives there are four of us to look after instead of just two. We made the decision long before having children that I would stay home with them. Hence the reason we are still living with my in-laws. The internship was technically over in September, so we figured a few months at his parents, he would get a new job, and we'd be out on our own!
9 months later....we're still here. I love my in-laws as much as I love my own family. They have been so generous and willing to let us live here until we were able to move. As difficult as it has been at times, I've been grateful for a safe place to live with my family. If they hadn't been here, we probably would have only been able to afford a "less than desirable" place. We no longer have the luxury of needing the occasional student loan until the next semester's grants/scholarships kicked in. What we get every two weeks is it until the next paycheck. Let me tell you, it's a scary thing living paycheck to paycheck, especially with two young children who require so much.
Enter change #1: Andrew's boss and the higher bosses have been working on a new position for Andrew! It is a Management Trainee program where he'll be doing a lot of research with new potato varities and many other duties I can't describe. This program will lead him into a management position and give him the skills he needs to go wherever he wants within the company. He applied for it last wednesday and by the end of this week or next he'll be starting! With this new position comes a new salary, much higher than what he is making now. Which leads us to....
Change #2: WE BOUGHT A HOUSE! We started looking at houses last August, figuring the process would take time, and it would take awhile to find what we wanted. The house we found has been a long time coming...waiting for an extension to be built on to the house, carpet/vinyl changed throughout the house, and TONS of paperwork. The whole process is proof Heavenly Father watches out for us. The closing date has been pushed back a couple of times, and we are closing this friday, right around the time Andrew's new job will be starting! It's a 1400 sq ft, 4 bed 2 bath home in a nice, quiet subdivision in Homedale. We were able to stay in the ward we attend now, which is a huge blessing in itself!
Needless to say, I feel we're getting out of the "rut" and finally starting the life we've been working so hard towards the last three years.
P.S. I promise this won't be long, boring posts every time. I'll start adding pictures in the next posts. :)
Congratulations!! I'm so very happy for you!!
ReplyDeleteThat is so exciting! Now on to the next challenge of home ownership. I wouldn't know anything about that, but I bet you will have a lot of learning experiences through it all. I look forward to hearing how it goes, and any advice you have when it comes to living in the "real world"
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! Those are both such exciting changes!
ReplyDelete