Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Father's Day Present

I got this idea from my friend's craft blog: http://jillmadeit.blogspot.com/ She had gotten the idea from someone else, but I found it on her blog. I adapted it to fit our needs, and the end product was wonderful!! This was also the first present I have made/gotten Andrew that he actually didn't find out what it was beforehand! (mostly because he didn't try to find out this time!).
     Cut out letters from posterboard, cardboard, whatever you want. My friend had made letters spelling out "I love Daddy" but for my kids I did "We heart (I drew out a heart, not spell out the word) Dad. My friend did a separate picture for each letter, but I did a separate picture for each word. I printed them out at Wal-Mart, size 4x6, and put them in a three slot picture frame. It took me about two weeks to complete mainly because I wanted to take the pictures outside and I needed warm weather to do so! I couldn't have done it without the help of my sister, brother, and mother-in-law. Thank you!! :) Following are the pictures I used and the last picture is the finished product.
My mother-in-law is sitting to the right of the bench, prepared to catch a baby should they fall. I would take a couple pictures, reposition, count to three, and she would take her hands off. :) I edited all these pictures on our picture manager thing on Andrew's computer. 
This was taken at my parents house, obviously on their couch. They are in their blessing outfits my mom made for them. They are both almost smiling in this one! 
Another picture taken at my parents house, with one of my? old baby blankets, wearing the matching outfits from my Grandma Clawson. Under the blanket is Peter holding up Braydon and Lauren holding up McKenzie. This was probably the most difficult picture to take because we had to hold them up and try not to get their arms in the picture. :) Most of takes from this picture they both look so serious and mad. This was the least serious of them all. 
The finished product!! For some reason the photos didn't print out very well at Wal-Mart and they left a quarter inch white strip on each side of the picture. I could have cropped them, but it would have cut McKenzie's head off more than it already did. So it's not as well done as I would have hoped, but it will do for my first project. 
It was so fun to make this, and the smile on Andrew's face made it all worth it!! Next project: cut out letters in wood that spell out their names and paint them. The letters will go above their cribs once we move and they finally get their own room!! The following are picture from today that I caught of the babies smiling!!
McKenzie was enthralled with the ceiling fan. She kept talking and smiling while looking at it. 

I was making faces at Braydon and he finally smiled long enough to get a picture. 

1 comment: