Motivation-need it, want it, don't have it (some days). Losing weight/getting into a healthier stage of life is no easy thing! I think the last year or so I've been in denial in some way....thinking my body would just put itself to rights again-pregnancy and just life in general really took a toll on my body. I'm lumpy in places I wasn't before, I'm the heaviest I've ever been (besides the last trimester of my pregnancy), and I can't find clothes to fit the way I want. This isn't going to be a big post complaining, so hang in with me. I've come to realize two facts: 1) This is totally something I can change! I'm not forced to stay this way, I can change it easier than I think 2) I need to do this now, so I'm a better influence and example to my kids. They are my "motivation in its smallest form."
I am much better at getting outside and going for a bike ride or a walk, than I am doing an exercise video. The gym? Ha-even if one was close I wouldn't go. However, on rainy days it just makes it impossible to load up two kids in the bike trailer and cruise around town on my bike (plus, due to some goatheads, I have flat tires...grrrrrr). Reluctantly I pull out the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD I have. I always hate starting a workout, but never regret it when I'm done. I can't even use the excuse that my kids won't let me exercise...they happily play with their toys. On this particular day, McKenzie was intrigued with the movements she saw on the screen. As she watched the arms crossing back and forth, she started to imitate the movement! This happened progressively during the 20-min work out...she would study the moves and try to imitate it (mostly just arm movements). I realized then that I'm setting a good example for my children now, with them so young. If I change my eating/exercise habits now, it will be better for them and for me. They'll grow up having good habits from the start...how can I afford NOT to make the changes now?! No waiting until later...the time is now!
I'm not focused so much on losing weight number-wise, I'm focused more on being in a place that is more suitable for my lifestyle, where I'm more comfortable with my appearance, and I'm healthier. I know of a few people right now that use, in my opinion, drastic ways to lose weight in as little of time possible. I don't want that: to lose pounds instantly only to put it back on once the "diet" is over. I want to change my lifestyle: be more aware of my food intake, bump up the exercise regiment, and instill good habits in myself and my family. So many of you have been an inspiration to me through your own stories and motivating words. Thank you, and good luck to us all!
That is an awesome way of putting it! Good Luck! I'm sure you can do it!
ReplyDeleteThat is a good way of getting the motivation...your kids will be active with you and they won't know any other way. :) Good for you Katie!
ReplyDeleteYou go girl! I find GREAT motivation from watching the Biggest Loser and looking at the "fitness" section on Pinterest. After watching/looking I am always pumped to start moving.
ReplyDeleteHeh heh....I have a problem with Biggest Loser sometimes...I weigh the same as they do a ways through the show when they are still talking about being heavy and all that. Luckily I'm 6 feet tall so it balances out :)It does inspire me though to at least not allow myself to get any heavier than I am! Thanks for the tips, Pinterest is a great resource and I should utilize it more!
ReplyDelete